In order to pursue a Master’s degree in America, you need to meet the following academic and English language requirements:
- Academic credentials: A majority of American universities require you to have completed 16 years of education (12+4), i.e. a four-year Bachelor’s degree before applying for MS. This is applicable for students from technical backgrounds like Engineering, Pharmacy, and Architecture. For non-technical fields like Arts and Management, a student is required to complete 17 years of education (12+3+2).
- A good GRE score: the GRE (Graduate Record Examination) is an American standardized aptitude test that assesses a student’s verbal and mathematical ability. The GRE, which is scored out of 340, is an internet-based test and can be taken throughout the year. The score is valid for five years.
- The minimum required TOEFL or IELTS score: since our native language is not English, we need to show that we have the minimum required English language skills to pursue graduate programs in America. For this purpose, you can take the TOEFL which is scored out of 120. Most good American universities require a score of 80+ in TOEFL. You can also take the IELTS, another English proficiency examination which is conducted by the British Council which is scored on a scale of 9. Most universities require a band score of at least 6.5 in IELTS.
- Good academic performance: your academics are as important as your GRE score. To get admission in a good university you should have a consistently good academic record in all four years of your degree course. As far as possible avoid backlogs and year-downs.
- Curricular and co-curricular accomplishments: American universities give weightage to the projects and seminars you have done as part of your course and to co-curricular activities such as the publication of papers in nationally and internationally recognized journals and participation in conferences. To gain practical experience and boost your profile, you should take up internships, whether they are paid or unpaid.
- Relevant work experience: relevant work experience increases your chances of getting admission to good universities and securing good jobs after you have completed your MS.
To help you get started with your preparation, we offer GRE Coaching , TOEFL Coaching , IELTS Coaching and also Admission Counseling through which we provide guidance on selection of universities, application essays and visa counselling.