The Student or F-1 Visa All the Basics Simply Explained


Visas explained

The US government issues more than 30 different types of visa. For example, tourists and business-men are issued B-1 or B-2 visas and those authorized to work in US are given an H-1B visa. Students going for vocational courses, such as, in flying schools or English language courses get an M-1 visa. However, most students require an F-1 visa stamp.
This is the most commonly issued type of visa for students going to an accredited university for a full-time academic program lasting for one or more years.

Students are allowed to apply for the F-1 visa 120 days before the date of reporting mentioned on their I-20 form. The I-20 form is an official document issued by the University on behalf of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The following important details are mentioned in the document:

  • the name and passport number of the student
  • the name of the university which the student is joining
  • the program to which the student has been admitted
  • the date of commencement of the program
  • the date by which the program has to be completed
  • the total cost of education for one year.

The fall 2012 semester will begin sometime in the third week of August. So, if you plan to join an American university this fall, you can start applying for your visa from the third week of April.

Keep in mind that you should have adequate liquid funds to cover the total cost of one year of education – this is mentioned in the I-20 form. Many students are under the wrong impression that their sponsor needs to deposit this entire amount in the bank and that otherwise their visa can be rejected. This is not true. Funds can be shown in the form of bank deposits, shares, mutual funds, provident fund etc. Even education loans of up to Rs. 20 lakhs are also permitted. Of course, having adequate funds alone does not guarantee a visa approval. The consulate officer also considers the following points:

  • whether you have admission to an accredited and reputed university
  • whether your academic background is good
  • whether your GRE score is satisfactory
  • whether your sponsor’s income is adequate

But the more important factor is you should have good communication skills and should be able to give convincing and honest answers to the consulate officer’s questions.

Most students show their parents as their sponsors. If this is not possible, they can show support from any other family member e.g. their brothers or sisters, their grandparents, either individually or as co-sponsors with their parents.

Sponsorship can also be taken from other immediate relatives, like uncles and aunts, provided their financial position is very sound and their income level is high.

Start preparing your financial documents now and apply for an F-1 visa as soon as you get your I-20 form from the university you desire to attend.

All the best as you prepare for this crucial part of the application process – and if you need help, don’t hesitate to contact us!

Related Links

Basics of the Student (F-1 visa) Simply Explained

Other Application Documents:

One thought on “The Student or F-1 Visa All the Basics Simply Explained

  1. PRASANNA VIGHNE May 17, 2012 / 8:34 pm

    I have my VISA interview on 22nd May 2012. I will be attending mock visa interview with Dilip Oak Sir on 18th May.
    I had one specific question regarding VI.

    >> The course duration on I20 is shown to be 36 months=3 years. The course at Col State Univ is 2 yrs long( confirmed by seniors there), and +1 year is the grace period. and on the DS 160 form I have written Intended period of Stay as = 2 years. Will that be a problem during the VI?

Comments are closed.